Now that our SQL Server is configured and hosts the SCOM database, we can proceed with the installation of the SCOM Server itself:

Install SCOM on the second server

Add the required roles and features based on the Pre-requisites check. (If you want to install Server, Console, Powershell and Web Console, this means IIS, Asp.net 2.0, Net Framework 2.0 and 3.0,  

Launch the installation.  Go to Setupom.exe on the install disk, and launch as Administrator.

Select the applicable roles of SCOM that you want to install on the server.

Enter the Mom Action Account and SDK account when prompted. (you will have to create and configure those in advance).

Problems encountered and solutions

Note that the default path for installation log is not c: drive but the %temp% directory of the logged on user, which in my case ended up being C:UsersmomactionactAppDataLocalTemp

One of the major problems I encountered with the install was the ‘Account Verification Error’.

I would get it when prompted to enter the Action Account and the SDK account. Whatever I would enter here would not work (except for using local accounts that would fail a bit later because SDK account can’t access the network. After spending a lot of time double-checking the configuration at domain level, on the SQL server and locally, I ended up trying to install the role via the command line (You can find an example of this in the documentation, change the variables in blue and the accounts if required)

%WinDir%System32msiexec.exe /i <path>MOM.msi /qn /l*v %Temp%MOMServer_install.log ADDLOCAL=MOMServer USE_SETTINGS_FROM_AD=0 MANAGEMENT_GROUP=MG1 MOM_DB_SERVER=ODB1Instance1 ACTIONS_USE_COMPUTER_ACCOUNT=0 ACTIONSUSER=MOMActionAct ACTIONSDOMAIN=Domain1 ACTIONSPASSWORD=AAPwd#01 SDK_USE_COMPUTER_ACCOUNT=0 SDK_ACCOUNT=MOMSDKAct SDK_DOMAIN=Domain1 SDK_PASSWORD=SDKPwd#01

After a couple of trials, it ended up working fine. However this was only a part of the features that i wanted to install, so I went to Add/Remove Programs and tried to install the web console and User interfaces.

Now instead of a cryptic error, I got this error message:

When looking into the log file, I found this error: Source is incorrect. Volume label should be > DISK2 but is SCOM_SP1_EN_VL.

OK, nothing to do with Windows, just a problem with the iso file itself ! So instead of trying to change the Label of the iso file, I just extracted it locally on the server and tried to install from there… and it worked without problem.

I guess this workaround might help with the Account problem also, so don’t hesitate to send me a message to confirm this.

After the install is done, don’t forget to install rollup package KB954049

Advertisements